Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mrs Brown and Mrs Newton

Earlier this week I was on a training run and had just finished pushing up the end of a series of hills on my 5 K route. It was 80+ degrees and the first time I had run in several days due to our trip to the UK; I was tired and very sweaty. I had sweat in my eyes and was struggling reading the time recorded on my watch so I kept rubbing my eyes. As I was running up this final ascent I noticed something: I saw two very elderly ladies attempting to lift a small love seat into the back of an SUV. I was so focused on the run that I nearly missed the scenario altogether until I saw them out of the corner of my eye as I was passing by (and the sweat in my eyes didn't help!). Though I was out of breath I said, "Wait! Let me help you with that." Both of them broke their concentration for a moment and looked across the road as I trotted near them. In unison, their faces lit up and thanked me immensely. As I was lifting the piece of furniture, Mrs Brown introduced herself and her sister, Mrs Newton. Mrs Brown informed me that she lived in the house behind her for the past thirty-three years and her children moved her to Royal Estates Assisted Living Home this past weekend. I smiled gently and asked her how she liked the new place (mind you, I was gassed and sweating immensely - still out of breath). She said it was nice and I told her I was happy for her new lifestyle and we joked about how she could "be a kid" again since someone else was responsible. She and her sister then insisted upon me that I take monetary payment for the help I gave them since they "didn't know how they would have gotten that piece of furniture in the car anyway." Mrs Brown added, "I told Mrs Newton that if a guy came running by (I didn't know you'd be literally running!) and offered to help I'd pay him good money." I thanked them for their generous thought and refused the offer by explaining that Jacinda and I are thankful to be very well taken care of with our full-time salaries. We talked a little bit about the food in Mrs Brown's new living facilities and how it would take a little time for her to appreciate the transition, but she was thankful to have children who could afford for her to be cared for in such a way. Then, as I turned to complete my run, she said something fairly simple, "Thank you for stopping to help us two old ladies!" I said, "Of course!" and continued my run. It wasn't until I turned the corner that I realized that I saw about four or five cars pass Mrs Brown and Mrs Newton and they struggled with the love seat. And that I nearly ran right by them because I had sweat in my eye. It hit me: I nearly missed the opportunity to serve someone by doing a simple task (for me) because I had something in my eye. I wonder how many other opportunities I've missed because something was in my eye, but only that it wasn't sweat. The truth is I miss opportunities to serve the people around me because I focus, too often, on myself. I owe thanks to Mrs Brown and Mrs Newton for rmeinding me the importance of looking outside of myself and for the needs of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment