Wednesday, April 8, 2009

This Crazy Family

This past July (2008) our congregation began using a new bulletin format to go along with our newly renovated auditorium. The back of the bulletin is now a space designated for different members to share their thoughts and experiences with the rest of the congregation. The following is an article I wrote for the Jan 25, 2009 bulletin for the Hillcrest Church of Christ in Abilene, TX:

While growing up “family” was an eclectic word. I have always described my family as “crazy.” I have four older sisters, two of whom are adopted. My parents divorced when I was three and remarried when I was four. I now have four older sisters, three step-sisters, two step-brothers, a step-mom and step-dad. My friends tease me because my family tree is so large and tangled. It was definitely an experience!

You may think I regret my childhood, but you couldn’t be more wrong. I was a happy kid! I had a blast with such a large family and love the wild memories that only a large family could create! Yes, I wish my parents did not have a divorce, but my siblings stuck together and found new ways to create familial unity.

When we look at our family in Christ we too easily show the shiny, flawless sides of ourselves and hide the cracks that each of us bear. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul writes “… you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part.” He doesn’t say, the best of each of you is a part, but all of you – even the broken pieces!

The void left by my dad’s passing is irreplaceable, but I learned a lot about being a member of the Christian family from several of my brothers and sisters who have been there to pick up my broken pieces. The following is a message of love from a sister in Christ, written one month ago:

My dearest friend Evan, I have been thinking a lot over the last six months. I used to hear people say I love them like a brother and I didn't really understand what that meant. But when your dad died I cried all day long knowing that you were in pain. In fact, I am crying right now thinking still of how hurt you must be and how you must miss him. I came to realize that I do know what it means to love someone like a brother. I love you like a brother. You are truly a cherished friend.
Sharon

Please take time today and think of people in your life who have truly been family to you. At times, we overlook one another’s kind acts too easily. My family is “crazy” and difficult to describe. I thank my faith family for being crazy enough to love all of the broken pieces – remember that’s all of us!

I want to challenge you who read this and ask you to call, email, text (however you communicate best) and thank your "Sharon"s for being 'crazy' for treating you like family ... and how grateful you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment