Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Top 10 Things I LOVE About Running

I began running in January of 2008 because a friend, Yancey House, asked me to run a marathon with him. We ran the White Rock Marathon in Dallas, TX on December 14, 2008. The picture to the left is of Yancey and me and was taken immediately following our finish. Since White Rock, I have continued running and am up to about fifty miles per week. I am currently training for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon to be held on Sunday, April 26. I have a larger goal in mind, too: qualify for the Boston Marathon within the next two years. Thanks for my continued running is due to Abilene Runner's Club (Bob Taillon and David Lantrip) and my new running partner Kevin Kehl. Yancey, however, is the one who needs the most thanks because he got me back into it. I wouldn't be able to run without these guys because they encourage me to actually get out there and do it. Thanks!
The following list, in no particular order, contains the top ten things I love about running.


The TOP 10 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT RUNNING
  1. Maintaining a healthy weight level
  2. The surprised feeling I get every time we finish and I think, "that wasn't too bad!"
  3. Waking up and seeing the sunrise
  4. It's my therapy. When my dad passed away, it was the only thing that calmed me down and allowed me to focus. It's still the best place for me to focus.
  5. Conversation. Your running partner kind of turns into a counseling partner.
  6. Hills. I love the sense of accomplishment I feel after conquering yet another hill.
  7. Getting to eat more chocalote and greasy food than I would get to otherwise!
  8. Smiling at the people who look at me (from their cars) like I am the craziest person in the world to be running ... in the rain, snow, ice, 100 degree temps, etc ... at all!
  9. Learning weird things like how to: blow snot rockets out of one nostril with no hands, tie your shoes with gloves on, calcuate min/mi in your head, differintiate mi/km without doing any math (ie 25k = 15.5 mi), etc.
  10. The Finish Line
What do you love most about running?

No comments:

Post a Comment