Saturday, April 4, 2009

"He looks like a runner"

For the past 26 years, the Galaxy men's social club at ACU has hosted the Kirk Goodwin 5K. Kirk Goodwin was a student at ACU, a member of the ACU track team, and a member of Galaxy. While at ACU, Kirk was involved in a car accident and passed away due to the accident. The run was initiated to help the Goodwin family pay for the overwhelming medical bills. Currently, the run helps families of ACU students with high medical bills.

Well, I ran the Kirk Goodwin 5K today! But this post is actually about the registration process. Before I get to that, though, let me brag on the race director, Wilson Rotenberry. Wilson is a student at ACU and put together a VERY organized run this year. The KGR (Kirk Goodwin Run) was timed by Champion Chip, the registration process was easy, and the atmosphere was very fun! While I was waiting at the registration table, a few of the Galaxy men were waiting to be used as volunteers. I could kind of hear what they were saying but wasn't really listening to their conversation. Then I heard one of them say, "yeah, definitely, he totally looks like a runner." I looked at them to see who they were talking about AND THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT ME! I couldn't believe it. Now, I've relayed this story to two people and they've said, "yeah, well, you are a runner." That may be so, but I'm still a guy who has lost 35 -40 pounds (depending on the time of day!) in the last 19 months and isn't used to people saying, "you look like a runner." I'm telling you, that made my day! I ran with confidence and held my head high because I look like a runner!


No comments:

Post a Comment