Thursday, July 8, 2010

Going Home is Weird

A little while ago, my home congregation asked me to come home and talk about my current ministry and take the opportunity to express my thanks for growing up in that congregation. I did this last night. It was an incredible experience and a really uplifting evening. But I did not expect for a few things to happen. It has been 7 years since I left my parents' home for college and began attending another church home. When I walked in the church building, it was all very familiar yet strange. The rooms looked smaller. The kids younger than me were now taller and stronger than me. A girl who was my 4-year old buddy was now in the youth group and could not find memories of me. It was very strange to me that everything looked and even smelled the same as I remember, but it all seemed new at the same time.

As I mentioned earlier, the evening couldn't have gone better. It was a huge blessing and truly touching experience for me. I loved hugging people who had made such a large impact on my life. It was amazing to be encouraged by the affirmations they heaped on me. It was weird, though, like I was a kid again. It is nice being the kid sometimes. I needed the opportunity to be the kid last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment